Getting a massage used to be considered a luxury, something you got to treat yourself or someone you loved and was only readily available at high-end spa or resort. Today, massage therapy is getting more consideration as a necessity due to its many benefits for physical as well as mental health. You can find massage services being offered in a multitude of places now too including hospitals, clinics, and other health and wellness businesses.
More and more, therapeutic massage is being added as a comprehensive treatment plan to help those who suffer from an injury or illness. There are many benefits to therapeutic massage including:
- Relieves Stress. Massage therapy helps the body produce endorphins, serotonin, and dopamine as well as reduces blood pressure, heart rate, and cortisol levels, all factors usually linked to high stress.
- Reduces Anxiety. Often stress and anxiety go hand in hand, by helping reduce stress and increasing the chemicals that your body produces naturally to feel good, high levels of anxiety can be drastically reduced.
- Relieves Pain and Tension. In an ever tensing world, injury and muscle tension cases are on the rise. Therapeutic massage can help restore mobility to the joints, muscles and tendons by reducing inflammation and pain.
- Improves Quality of Sleep. Without good sleep we can not maintain good health. By relaxing muscles, increasing blood flow, and reducing inflammation, massage can provide the body with what it needs for adequate sleep.
- Helps Combat Symptoms of Depression. Recent studies have shown that therapeutic massage and touch can dramatically offer relief for those who suffer from anxiety and depression.
- Reduces Fatigue. By helping promote healthy sleep and enhancing mood, you may feel less fatigued throughout the day than you typically experience.
- Enhances Immune System. Therapeutic massage helps promote circulation in the lymph nodes which helps boost the body’s natural defense system designed to fight illnesses.
What is Therapeutic Massage?
Therapeutic massage is a general term that describes a variety of modalities to help restore movement in the soft tissue, relieve pain, reduce stress, and restore natural function. Depending on what your body needs at the moment, different techniques may be used to achieve different goals. For instance, a light touch may be required if you are looking to release tension or relax the muscles whereas a firmer touch may be needed to increase blood flow or circulation.
Regardless if the pain or discomfort you are experiencing is physical or mental, therapeutic massage can offer relief in many ways to help improve your overall health and wellness. If you are currently seeking medical treatment, be sure to consult with your physician before adding therapeutic massage to your regime. If you want to know more about how massage therapy may benefit you, call our offices today for a consultation or schedule an appointment.