1.SIDE NECK STRETCH
- Start with your shoulders relaxed, gently tilt your head towards your shoulder.
- Assist stretch with a gentle pull on the side of the head.
2. ISOMETRIC- SIDE STRETCH
1.With your head and neck in a neutral position (normal position with head erect facing forward), place your left hand on the left side of your head.
2.Now gently push towards the left as you contract the left neck muscles but resisting any movement of your head. Start with slow tension and increase slowly. Keep breathing normally as you execute this contraction.
3.Hold for the 8-10 seconds (recommended seconds).
4.Now release the tension slowly.
5.Rest for the recommended amount of time and repeat with your right hand placed on the right side of your head.
Variations: You can also do this exercise by placing your hands to the front and then to the back of your head. First do one side and then the next.
3.Chin To Chest
- Get into a seated position on the floor.
- Place both hands at the rear of your head, fingers interlocked, thumbs pointing down and elbows pointing straight ahead. Slowly pull your head down to your chest. Hold for 20-30 seconds.
4.Levator Scapulae Stretch
- Using a muscle roller or a rolling pin, place the roller behind your head and against your neck. Make sure that you do not place the roller directly against the spine, but turned slightly so that the roller is pressed against the muscles to either side of the spine. This will be your starting position.
- Starting at the top of your neck, slowly roll down the muscles of your neck, pausing at points of tension for 10-30 seconds.